Direct Data Updates enables data updates (like a CMS content change) to skip the build queue. This only works for warm Preview builds and certain CMS webhooks. Build queue can add 5 seconds to 15 seconds, so Direct Data Updates can improve Preview performance by as much as 50%.
Direct Data Updates is already enabled for all eligible webhooks on Gatsby Cloud.
The following webhooks are compatible with Direct Data Updates:
- All versions of gatsby-source-wordpress, gatsby-source-contentful, and gatsby-source-contentstack
- Drupal installations using v2+ of the Gatsby Drupal module
- All Sanity webhooks except delete webhooks
- Any web hook that does not pass a webhook body
These webhooks are not compatible with Direct Data Updates:
- Kentico Kontent
- Any webhook what passes a webhook body
If a webhook does not support Direct Data Updates, it will still trigger a build, but this build will enter the Preview queue and then build normally. A site can receive any kind of webhooks but only those that support Direct Data Updates will be prioritize and skip the queue.